New York City Audubon seeks an energetic and proactive Communications Associate to grow our visibility, reach new audiences, and engage constituents. This is an exciting position for someone starting a career in communications, marketing, branding and/or community engagement, with an opportunity to learn all aspects of nonprofit marketing/communications and make a big impact in environmental conservation.
View PDF version of this job listing here.
View PDF version of this job listing here.
About NYC Audubon
Founded in 1979, NYC Audubon works for the protection of wild birds and habitat in the five boroughs, improving the quality of life for all New Yorkers. NYC Audubon’s conservation and science activities, education and public programs, and advocacy and outreach efforts on behalf of urban and migrating birds and wildlife are more critical than ever due to climate change effects and the devastating, steady loss of the natural environment in the City over many decades.
NYC Audubon serves a diverse community of 10,000 members, with a team of 14 full-time and part-time staff, supported by seasonal scientists, hundreds of advocates, and thousands of volunteers. We are a grassroots membership-based organization that is independent from but affiliates as a chapter of the National Audubon Society.
It’s an exciting time to join the NYC Audubon team. The organization recently announced plans to change its name as part of its effort to include all New Yorkers in conservation and protecting urban biodiversity. (More information about our name change here: nycaudubon.org/audubon-name)
NYC Audubon’s Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
NYC Audubon believes all people have the right to a close connection to the natural world and the right to a healthy environment. Preserving our environment is only possible if we all feel that connection. We recognize that inequities in our society are widespread and hinder access to nature. Only by embracing equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility as values and striving for them in practice will we begin to foster a love of nature in all people and inspire them to be active stewards of the environment. We further believe that to thrive as an organization and effectively advance our mission and vision, the diversity of New York City’s people must be represented in, and welcomed into, our leadership, staff, and membership. The expertise, values, and perspectives of a diverse and inclusive organization are fundamental to expanding the reach and impact of our conservation, advocacy, and educational efforts. We commit to building an equitable, diverse, inclusive, and accessible NYC Audubon, dedicated to protecting nature for all of New York City’s people and its wild birds. (More information on how we center EDIA in our work here: nycaudubon.org/about-us/edia-initiatives)
About the Position
The Communications Associate is an exciting new position at NYC Audubon, responsible for developing high-quality content and managing key communications channels to help raise the profile of the organization’s conservation, advocacy, and engagement work throughout the City’s five boroughs. Reporting to the Associate Director of Communications, they will execute on strategies to grow the organization’s visibility and successfully broadcast the accomplishments and initiatives of the organization to a variety of audiences. The organization is also planning a name change in the coming year and the Communications Associate will play an important role supporting this high-profile organizational rebrand.
The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic, proactive learner, who’s highly organized and thrives in a fast-paced, results-driven environment. They are comfortable managing multiple priorities and working with team members across all organizational departments. This role requires an individual with outstanding written communications and interpersonal skills who is agile, and able to grasp and apply new concepts quickly amid a constantly changing media environment.
- Write and edit content that will be used across all communications channels.
- Set and execute on a strategy to develop and grow organization’s social media presence.
- Manage and maintain organization’s media asset database.
- Manage website content and Google AdWords campaigns.
- Coordinate with other departments to ensure timely and consistent messaging across all communications channels.
- Assist with email communications by writing and designing content; grow and manage organization’s email lists.
- Support production of organization’s printed publications, including brochures, flyers, and posters. This may include writing, designing, editing, and printing.
- Support earned media efforts by drafting press releases; monitoring and tracking media coverage; and maintaining media contact lists.
- Serve as one of the public faces of the organization by answering queries from the public.
- Produce dashboards and reports on the effectiveness of communications efforts.
- Take event photos and videos for use on organization’s communications channels.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or relevant field, or equivalent work experience.
- Excellent writing, editing, and research skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure.
- Strong organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to juggle project details and prioritize initiatives.
- Comfort taking initiative, and working both independently and collaboratively.
- Commitment to furthering organization’s goals in Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility in our marketing/communications efforts.
- Experience writing and designing content for websites, press, email, social, and print materials.
- Understanding of social media platforms and how they can be used to address the public and raise visibility of organization.
- Good eye for design, with some familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (including Photoshop, Premiere Rush, InDesign), Canva, or other multimedia design tools.
- Familiarity with Mailchimp or other email marketing tools a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft 365/Office and Google Suite required.
- Fluency in languages besides English a plus.
Job and Location Details
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with a “hybrid” work arrangement; NYC Audubon employees currently work in-person 2-3 days per week at our Manhattan office and other time working virtually.
The Communications Associate should be comfortable engaging with the public and be able to work occasional weekends and evening hours (compensatory time off will be provided).
All NYC Audubon employees must be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or medical necessity. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless an accommodation for exemption is received and approved.
Compensation and Benefits
The Communications Associate’s starting salary will be in the $40,000 range. In addition, NYC Audubon offers a full benefits package, including a generous Paid Time Off policy; 100% coverage on medical, dental, and vision insurances for full-time employees; life and disability insurances; and a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with a match.
Send resume and cover letter in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Communications Associate” in the subject line. No calls, please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a projected employment start date in early summer 2023.
New York City Audubon Society provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity, sex (including sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, and pregnancy), age, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, military or military reserve obligations, or any other class or status protected by law.
NYC Audubon is committed to building a staff that represents the diversity of the New York City communities we serve. Candidates of all backgrounds and abilities are encouraged to apply. Note that the NYC Audubon office is located on the 15th floor of a building with elevator access.